Saturday, May 5, 2007

A quick review of Yggdra Union

I'm still playing way too many portable games, I don't know why but I enjoy being able to take the unit all over my house when I'm making food or sitting on my bed. Maybe that's the whole appeal of it, not being restricted to just in front of the TV.

Anyway, I've been able to log about 2 hours on Yggdra Union. I don't remember the mission, I think it's about 3 or 4. But so far, the impressions of it are good. At first I was deterred by the crowded menus (think Riviera, but more cluttered, well it is the same developer but yeah...).

It's a turn-based tactical RPG, like Advance Wars, but with cards. With several units represented in one icon on the map. There's different types of units (sword weilding, axe weilding) and different cards which are more beneficial to those specific units (sword cards with sword users etc).

So far each icon on the map is represented with a character, but are accompanied with soldiers of the same type. Units can move the amount of spaces as indicated on the card but that movement is shared by all the units on the map (so 7 moves = 3 + 4, or 2 + 5, or one unit can use all 7).

Combat is not only based on a prediction meter (like Fire Emblem with hit %) but is also determined on the moves made in combat. You can execute different moves depending on the card and if you're gauge is filled up (fighting guage which has two modes: aggressive and passive).

I'll do a full review later, but I wanted to do a quick review if anyone was curious about it right away. I might do more quick reviews if there isn't enough time to do full reviews. Like if there are too many games being released at a time or something.

Well, have to do some cleaning now, and do some Wii boxing, I hear you can get really fit by playing that a lot, (as I'm sure any excercise will lol) but it's another excuse to play a console game.

No comments: